Saturday, June 14, 2008

"Pain and difficulty can sometimes serve as the pathway to a new level of involvement. They do not mean necessarily that there is something inherently wrong with the relationship: on the contrary, relationship trouble may be a challenging initiation into intimacy."

I believe there is so much wisdom contained in these three and a half sentences. We are socialized and conditioned to believe that maritial/relationship strife/challenges is paramount to something wrong with our relationships, which in turn, implies that there is something wrong with me, my partner, or both of us. This popular notion, however, creates a significant amount of anxiety and defensiveness which generally only makes matters worse. If….we could only see and understand that relationship trouble provides a "potential opportunity" for greater vulnerability, deeper communication and understanding on both parties than maybe so many of us wouldn’t just want to sweep so much stuff under the rug. Sweeping our problems under the rug may provide temporary relief from the challenges at hand but in the long run the dust that is under the rug always seems to find a way out from under the rug and eventually into our heart...and...a heart covered in dust is a heart that is struggling to beat.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is an interesting quote and theory. I don't know if I agree (though I do agree that sweeping things under the rug prevents intimacy for sure).

What I have experienced (bluntly) is that painful interactions lead to damage that make it hard to want to risk... Communication to create that intimacy as the result of pain can backfire, can lead to more pain, can be followed by more memories of hurt.

Growth, closeness, overcoming those differences... all necessary for a relationship to work. But I have to ask: what is the critical moment where the pain stops being that opportunity for growth and becomes instead a signal that irreparable damage is being done to one's soul?

Only me and my therapist know for sure. :)

Bilbo said...

Hi Julie,

I have been gone for the past week on a mini vacation...

Your comments and the comments of the quote both "imply" the "potential" for growth and healing...and...I would add...never complete healing, growth, or total awareness...I agree that attempts to create greater intimacy via communication with our signficant other can also lead to more pain...been there and done that...especially, if one or both of you lack self awareness, motivation, or our just stuck in old patterns of conditioning. These comments and mine assume both parties are open and willing to learn from the pain of the past, which, as you know, is not always the case.

You wrote...But I have to ask: what is the critical moment where the pain stops being that opportunity for growth and becomes instead a signal that irreparable damage is being done to one's soul?

Only me and my therapist know for sure. :)

Bill: I think you answered your own question...only you know...and...hopefully, your therapist...For me, the pain stops being an opportunity for growth...when...I give up...shut down...close down...or lack enouragement and help from others. I have been through a lot of grief and sadness over the past ten years on numerous fronts and the fact that I haven't shut down and given up, at this point, speaks loudly, imo, to the potential of the human spirit to find and experience growth and healing...and...that is all I can say on my end of things...