Friday, February 13, 2009

1. Does Valentine’s Day ever live up to anyone’s expectations?...I personally haven't experienced anything particularly bad on Valentine's Day but I also don’t remember any knock your socks off happenings either. I think I am due for a rock em sock em light and laser show.

2. Valentine Day cards were originally handwritten and gained popularity during the
Revolutionary War. I wonder why it took a war to get us all aboard the love boat once and for all.

3. American’s are expected to spend an average of 103 dollars on Valentine gifts this year and 14.7 billion nationwide. I don’t ever remember spending that much on Valentine’s Day. Hmmm, maybe that is why I am still single.

4. Men buy about 75 percent of the flower’s each year which means women buy the other 25 percent. I don’t ever remember getting any flowers, ever. What’s up with that?

5. During the Victorian Era several countries banned Valentine Day’s cards and the
city of Chicago rejected 25,000 cards on the grounds that they were indecent. But, in the end even the prudish Victorians couldn’t trump the power of love.

6. The Hallmark card company currently has over 1300 different Valentine’s Day
cards. No wonder it is so difficult to pick just the right card.

7. It is estimated that over 50 percent of men do not make any “specific” plans for
Valentine’s Day. Shame on those men who are not pulling their weight. It makes the rest us who are busting our butts to make our women happy look bad.

8. According to one website teachers will receive the most Valentine’s Day cards, followed by children, mothers, wives, and then, sweethearts. I don’t believe this statistic to be true. I am a high school teacher and I haven’t received a single Valentine Day’s card for years…and…I am single, good looking, charming, and super intelligent. Well, maybe two out of four. I’ll let you try and guess which two.

9. This year it is estimated that 14 couples are going to tie the knot on the Empire State Building on Valentine’s Day. Just be careful and don’t forget what happened to King Kong and his sweetheart when they decided to rendezvous on the top of the Empire State building. And, if you do hear the sound of airplanes during the ceremony don’t stand up and beat your chest…duck…

10. During the Middle Ages single women would eat unusual foods on Valentine’s
Day to have a dream about their future husband. Now, they subscribe to
E-Harmony because they don’t want to leave anything to chance.

No comments: