Monday, February 16, 2009


At the very heart of sex lies a profound affirmation of life, giving us reason for living, optimism, and energy. At every step, this process can be wounded, and weakened by a fear of vitality and a failure to trust in life, in others and in oneself. Everywhere we are told to set limits on eros, to be careful that we are not lost in its passion. But if we listen to these worried cautions, we may end up with only a modicum of self-possession purchased at the cost of life’s passion. Eros may go underground as seething, dark desire, and the surface of life may turn
mechanical and controlled, cheerless and humorless....Thomas Moore, The Soul of Sex

From time to time I intend to touch on the subject of sex. Sex is a difficult subject for many people to talk about but I do hope to discuss the subject in a way that hopefully will shed some light on a very important aspect of our being and the human experience. I grew up in an era when nobody talked about sex openly except in passing and generally in some kind of negative context...so...many of us were left to learn what we could on our own and confusion was par for the course as we tried to reconcile our limited experiences with the often brief but negative messages from most adults who pontificated about the subject from time to time. I am fortunate I didn't experience any negative experiences that one often associates with sexual abuse. I was confused though about sex much of the time until I decided to abandon and ignore much of what I had heard about sex and explore the subject for myself. In future posts I don't intend to offer any advise on the subject... but... I do hope to stir the imagination and tease the reader to explore and meditate about sex in a way that hopefully opens some doors which further might lead to greater fulfillment not just physically but spiritually, as well, because sex is more than just a physical act between two consenting adults.

No comments: