Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Thomas Moore writes, "Continuous exposure to the arts is one of the best ways to prepare ourselves for relationship, much better than relying entirely on the psychological approach to life…Through immersion in the arts, our reflection on life becomes larger, so that when we are confronted with the challenges of relationship we will have a rich imagination to bring to them and the ability to think poetically."

This is one of the more interesting and potentially profound statements I have come across in my years of reading about relationships and I believe there is a lot of wisdom in what Moore has to say here. Over the years I have read my fair share of relationship books and attended a significant number of marriage counseling sessions which more often than not, mixed results. As I have gotten older I gradually find myself relying more on my intuition and my imagination particularly when it comes to problem solving and other issues in my interpersonal relationships. While I can't claim perfection in my dealing with others I have discovered that creative solutions or proposals often help to diffuse gridlock and open up conversation in a way that is often absent when one is hunkered down in lock down principles and absolutist positions.

No comments: