Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. Due to the recent economic meltdown I suspect more people are going to stay in this year so I have put together a list of movies for this special occasion. Since most people have seen the usual suspects like Titanic, Sleepless in Seattle, Whose Got Mail, Pretty Woman, etc. I have decided to put together a list of films that might fly under most people’s radar because they aren’t as well known as some of the heavy hitters or they are just fun films which blend well with the spirit of the holiday. If you are going to watch a film with your loved one this year you might want to check out one of these films if you are looking for something a bit out of the mainstream.

1.At the top of my list is a film called The Truth About Cats and Dogs. This film is a romantic comedy which stars Uma Thurman and Janeane Garofalo. I confess I am obsessed with Garofalo therefore I forfeit any claim to objectivity but this is a quirky, offbeat film that is funny and appealing to those of us who like to root for the underdog.

2.The Disney classic Beauty and the Beast is my all-time favorite Disney movie. I just love everything about this film, the story, the colors, the music, and the underlying message that love is transformational and conquers all in the end.

3.Phenomenon staring John Travolta might, at first glance, not seem like a likely candidate for Valentine’s Day but this film is a powerful film which touches me on a deep level and the love that is shared between Travolta and his girlfriend always brings tears to my eyes every time I see it.

4.When a Man Loves a Woman starring Andy Garcia and Meg Ryan is a realistic portrayal about the ups and downs of married life and the sacrificial love exhibited by Garcia’s character is a reminder to us all of a deep love that is as important as romantic love.

5.Jerry McGuire starring the trio of Tom Cruise, Renee Zellweger, and Cuba Gooding Jr. was a popular comedy with heart. Cuba Gooding was a riot, Cruise was, well Cruise, and Zellweger was convincing enough to tug on my heart strings…and…I loved the ending. Maybe love can last forever.

6.Shadowlands which stars Debra Winger and Anthony Hopkins is a true “unexpected” love story between C.S. Lewis, the famous British writer, and an American woman named Joy Davidson. The deep love that develops and grows over time between these two lovers reminds us that love can develop anytime, any place, and is not limited to our conventional wisdom regarding what a good match might look like.

7.If you are not in a serious, particularly romantic mood, than you might want to check out A Knights Tale. This is just a fun film which grabbed me at the beginning with Queen’s We Will Rock You. It’s a love story at heart but it’s a fun wild ride along the way and one of my favorite Heath Ledger movies.

8.Wall-E is the latest and maybe greatest Pixar movie to date. While we generally associate Pixar films with Saturday afternoon kiddie shows this film is in it’s essence a love story that any adult with a open heart will benefit from seeing.

9.If you up for a romantic musical journey than check out Across the Universe. Set to the music of the Beatles this love story was well worth the ten bucks I paid to see it during prime time. While I don’t remember too much about the overall storyline I do remember it made an impression on me and I intend to see it again soon.

10.Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is the only film I have yet to see and I am including it on this list because “my sources on the street” recommended this film highly. It stars Jim Carey and Kate Winslet if one is looking for something really different from one of Hollywood’s most unique real life comic book characters than you might want to give this film a look. I intend to do so soon.

2 comments:

kc bob said...

Just watched the PBS version of Tess of the d'Urbervilles.. now that is one that I would definitely pass on in this category.. horrible story.

I watched Shadowlands a few months after my first wife died and cried through most of the last 30 minutes.. kind of torture at that time of my life.. never had the courage to re-watch it.

I also remember being shocked at how I teared up when I watched Beauty and the Beast with my daughter.. it was one magnificent feat of animation.. the song still brings out strong emotion in me.

I might add Phantom of the Opera to your list.. the last scene is quite amazing in a romantic triangle sense.

I'd also add Moonstruck to the list.. my favorite Cher and Cage (well maybe not as good as The Rock) movie.

I don't remember much about Spotless Mind.. I will be interested in your take on it and whether it fits your list.

Unknown said...

You've Got Mail, of course. :) And perfect for your cyber audience. I think I have that movie memorized. Skip Sleepless in Seattle. By contrast, just not interesting.